Location: Firth College, entrance facing the junction of Leopold Street and West Street, Sheffield city centre.
Description: Two triangular reliefs either side of a curved door. The right hand relief shows two cherubs talking to each other on an early version of a telephone on either side of the naked figure of Science. The figure of Art, holding a chisel and mallet, has a cherub at her feet holding a palette and brushes and another at her left shoulder holding a diminutive mallet and chisel. Between the latter and Art is a head in relief of an unidentified bearded man.
Commission: Presumably Sheffield City Council’s Education Department. The architects were by E.R Robson of London and T.J Flockton of Sheffield.
Comment: The telephone is a reference to the Telephone Exchange Building (now Steel City House) opposite.
About the artist: F. Onslow Ford (1852-1901) was also the sculptor for the monument to Sir Rowland Hill, now in King Edward Street, London, outside the main General Post office.