Green Lane Works
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Exterior view: the gatehouse. Location: On the entrance arch to Green Lane Works, Green Lane, S3. (A-Z p. 86 6D) Description: Two near life-size bronze figures representing the Arts (female) and Industry (male - 'Vulcan') are on bronze panels inserted into niches either side of the arch, which is the entrance to the works. An inscription on the palette carried by the female figure reads: "Henry E. Hoole Mayor 1842". The same inscription appears on the anvil of the male figure and also on top of the interior of the archway, where a bust of Hoole in stone looks down over the courtyard. The stone bust of an unidentified figure looks out from the centre of the exterior archway. Commission: Henry Hoole. Comment: Hoole was the owner of the Green Lane Works, built in 1850. The inscription on the right hand relief commemorates his term of office as Lord Mayor of Sheffield. He also brought the artist and designer Alfred Stevens to Sheffield, and paid him a salary of £20 a year. Several of Stevens' designs for fireplaces and stoves for Henry Hoole were exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Architecture -- 1800-1900
Architecture -- England -- Sheffield
Steel industry and trade
Sculpture -- England -- Sheffield
Gates -- England -- Sheffield