Interior view: view into the main hall of the museum with visitors in an exhibition 'Cloud Cities' by the Argentianian artist Tomás SARACENO (1973- ). Location: Invalidenstraße 50-51, 10557 Berlin. Originally one of Berlin's main railway stations (Friedrich NEUHAUS, 1846). It closed in 1884 and was re-opened (1906) as a Museum of Transport and Construction. Empty after WW2 it was finally used for exhibitions from 1987 and renovated and modernised by KLEIHAUS from 1996. Additional space was added in 2004. One large hall has been retained as a major exhibition space facing the entrance. Stairs lead back up either side of this to suites of rooms on either side at a higher level. A viewpoint corridor that crosses above the entrance connects the two upper sides of the building. A second corridor leads out of one side of the main hall and, mimicking an older railway passege, leads to a long suite of 4 connecting exhibitions rooms, also accessed from a long corridor.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Creator Dates - Born:
Art museums -- Germany
Buildings -- Repair and reconstruction
Railroad stations -- Germany
Architecture -- Germany
Architecture -- 1800-1900