Gas Board Offices
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Atlantes either side of main door. Location: Either side of doorway on building - BRYWARD HOUSE - on Commercial Street, by the Commercial Street tram stop. Description: Two stone carved figures with arms raised supporting column which supports lintel over doorway. Numerous other decorative features on building. Building dated 1874. Length of the facade is 131 ft. Red Mansfield Sandstone used for the pilasters, and facing stone Staffordshire sandstone. The pillars are granite. Commission: Offices of the Sheffield United Gas Light Company.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Image Storage Location:
Creator Dates - Born:
Creator Dates - Died:
HADFIELD & SON
Architectural firm. Based in Sheffield.
Decoration and ornament, Architectural
Architecture -- England -- Sheffield
Architecture -- 1800-1900
Offices -- England -- Sheffield
Public sculpture -- England -- Sheffield