Sheffield Gas Company Offices
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
EARP , HADFIELD & SON
Taken from the 'Illustrated Guide to Sheffield', Pawson & Brailsford, 1879. Sculptural figures 'Atlantes', are located on either side of the doorway to this building - BRYWARD HOUSE, Commercial Street. Description: Two stone carved figures with arms raised supporting column which supports lintel over doorway. Numerous other decorative features on building. Building dated 1874. Length of the facade is 131 ft. Red Mansfield Sandstone used for the pilasters, and facing stone Staffordshire sandstone. The pillars are granite.  Commission: Offices of the Sheffield United Gas Light Company. Architects: Hadfield and Son  References:  "Illustrated Guide to Sheffield": Pawson and Brailsford, 1879. p.114
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Image Storage Location:
HADFIELD & SON
Creator Dates - Active:
19th century ; 20th century
Architectural firm. Based in Sheffield.
Offices -- England -- Sheffield
Architecture -- 1800-1900
Architecture -- England -- Sheffield
Public sculpture -- England -- Sheffield