Location: Weston Park, near Western Bank, S10. The piece can be found behind the prominent World Wars Memorial to the same Regiment. It is a Listed Building: Grade II. Originally sited at the Cathedral and moved from there in 1963.
Description: Two bronze panels depicting a soldier with head bowed stand either side of a panel listing the names of the dead. These have been set by a wall of granite blocks which stretches for 15 feet or so either side of the panels.
Commission: Commissioned by the Regiment  . The panels were unveiled, 12th July 1905, on the occasion of the Royal visit of Edward VII at the same time as the University of Sheffield was inaugurated. The designers were architects in Sheffield, John Dodsley Webster also built the Bainbridge Building on the corner of Norfolk and Surrey Streets. The makers were Starkey Gardiner & Co, London. Comment: The piece is somewhat hidden by the Yorks and Lancs. World Wars Memorial. The bronze panels are set rather strangely in the middle of a granite wall facing the edge of the Park. The reason for its move from the Cathedral has not been established.
 e-mail: 7.11.1997 from Meurig Jones, co-ordinator of the Anglo-Boer War Memorials Project.
 'For Remembrance. South Africa 1899-1902' Col Sir J Gildea;Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1911.