Blind Institute Entrance
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Detail view. A hand reading braille beneath the sun. Location: Above the main entrance to the Royal Institute for the Blind, Mappin Street, S1. The building was demolished in 2007 and the sculpture saved. Its present whereabouts are not known. Description: On the top of the left hand column by the entrance is a blindfolded head in front of a grating. The right hand column is topped by a hand interpreting braille in front of a symbol for light. Between the column is a finely detailed carving of the Royal coat of arms. Commission: The architects for the building were Hadfield and Cawkwell, a Sheffield-based firm. Comment: The same artist also worked on reliefs for the Gas Showrooms on Commercial Street, S1, and inside the Church of the Sacred Heart beyond the city centre in Hillsborough.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Image Storage Location:
Public art -- England -- Sheffield
Sculpture -- England -- Sheffield
Sculpture, British -- 1900-2000
Relief (Sculpture), English