Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Detail view of the dog above the old works entrance. Location: Above the doorway of a disused industrial building on Bailey Lane. Description: A stone carving of a Pointer Dog, with the word STANCH inscribed beneath. The dog is outstretched and appears to be running, but often goes unnoticed situated as it is on this run down building on a side street. This is the Dog Brand trademark of J & Riley Carr Ltd the manufacturing company that occupied the building until the 1950's. The business was established by Riley Carr in 1806 in Bailey Lane but relocated to Herries Road South in 1954. Originally the company were concerned with merchanting steel and making steel and saw fenders but later manufactured saws, files and machine knives.. Commission: Presumably J & Riley Carr Ltd. Comment: It has proved very difficult to get more information on pieces like this.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Image Storage Location:
Public sculpture -- England -- Sheffield
Animals in art